Your introduction to the Bacon avocado leaf
When we set out to make New Zealand’s first Avocado Leaf Tea, we knew exactly where we needed to go.
Our regular Hass and Reed trees weren’t going to cut it. The leaves of these varieties are harmful when consumed, so we looked to source the leaves of a lesser known variety to us Kiwis—the Bacon avocado.
What is a Bacon avocado?
If you’ve ever been lucky enough to visit to Mexico or any country in Latin America, there’s a good chance the guacamole you had with your tacos was made with the delicious, buttery flesh of a Bacon avocado.
Bacon avocados are native to Mexico. They’re oval-shaped like our good friend Hass, but have a glossier, waxier skin with faint speckles. Unlike their name, they taste nothing like bacon. They contain less oil than Hass avocados, but are equally delicious, with a smooth, creamy texture.
The leaves of the Bacon avocado tree are 100% safe to use in avocado leaf tea. They also smell and taste delicious. Win!
Health benefits of Bacon avocado leaves
- Immune-boosting: The potent flavonoid quercetin supports the body’s natural immune system thanks to its anti-allergic and anti-viral activity.
- Antioxidants: Quercetin can also protect against environmental causes of free radicals such as smoking and environmental pollutants.
- Supports bone & tooth health: Quercetin has been found to increase calcium content and improve bone quality by increasing bone-forming activities in bone cells and improving healing in bone defects.
- Supports heart health: Quercetin may improve the health of blood vessel cells and improve blood flow through arteries.
- Anti-inflammatory: The anti-inflammatory effects of quercetin may help to reduce swelling, control blood sugar, and help to prevent heart disease.
Our avocado leaf tea blends
All of our Avocado Leaf Tea blends are made with the avocado tree leaves of the Bacon variety—we never use any Hass or Reed avocado leaves in the production of our teas.
Avocado leaves have a reddish hue and a distinct earthy, rustic taste, while never bitter. Naturally caffeine-free, we’ve loaded each tea blend with the good stuff to compliment its smooth flavour. Cinnamon and tulsi to boost immunity, chamomile and passionflower to calm the nervous system, and lemongrass and ginger to support digestion.